Insurance & Reinsurance Brokers at Lloyd’s
+44 (0) 20 7977 5700

How should I interpret FCDO advice?

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) gives advice to travellers. CSP travel insurance will not cover you if you are in an area to which the FCDO have advised against travel so you should check the status of any country you intend to visit and wish to be covered in. The FCDO gives country specific advice at its website. Where the FCDO advise against travel, all but essential travel, or leisure travel then your insurance excludes cover in those areas. The FCDO sometimes advises against travel to “some areas” of a country rather than the whole country. Where they do this will also specify which areas to avoid and it is these specific areas that are excluded by the insurance and not the country as a whole.